Friday, August 27, 2010

Breeding a future generation of little volunteers

So, I really don't want to look back at this blog when I have kids and realize that all the things I said I was going to do while raising my kids I never did. But there is one thing I don't have a problem declaring: When I have kids I am going to volunteer them to help those less fortunate.
 
Corey and I have lived pretty blessed lives thus far. Neither of us ever wanted for anything... We got new shoes and school clothes and even fun extras like going out to eat and birthday parties. Whenever we would complain about something we didn't get, our parents would say "You don't know how good you have it!" and we would think, "Yeah, right. This totally sucks!" But the truth is, we really didn't know how good we had it. 

I actively volunteer both my money and my time to various charitable causes but rarely get a chance to work directly with those in need. Today I helped deliver school supplies to underprivileged fifth graders in inner city Des Moines and I saw what a burden buying the simplest of supplies were to some people. Supplying notebooks and kleenex for their kids was a relief to them, freeing up their money for the most basic things many of us take for granted - shelter, clothing, food. Part of me felt bad for being there. I knew the parents were grateful, but I felt like we were looking for an outpouring of gratitude, when really all I wanted was to see the kids happy about their new supplies, and a new school year. But I also knew it was important for me to be there to remind me to be thankful for who I am, where I come from and what I have - and how God put me in a position to help other people.

These kinds of experiences are something I want my kids to see and feel first-hand. So we won't have to tell them, "You don't know how good you have it", they'll already know.

1 comment:

  1. This is so true Kiley! So many people don't understand that we have families in need here in Des Moines! I taught at three different schools in inner DM. Two of the schools were very low economic status and were just like the ones you wrote about. It's so heartbreaking when the kids would come in with the list of schools supplies they couldn't afford! You think everyone can afford crayons, notebooks, etc, but they can't. Scott has a family member who is teaching in inner city St. Louis, and she sees a lot of hardships, I know, but seriously we have a lot of the same things going on here, and I hope Scott's family realizes it!! That's awesome Kiley that you want your future kids to help out!

    ReplyDelete